Explore the Red Light District’s enchanting streets and experience everything the region has to offer. Discover the reality behind the city’s permissive drug laws, how the Netherlands was a pioneer in the fight for equality, and how its Red Light District operates.
Learn about the Red Light District from a local viewpoint. Hear about the history of coffee shops, prostitution, political concerns, and the coffee shop culture. Learn how customers and sex workers bargain, how much they make, how room rentals and taxes operate, and how the women’s safety is ensured. Pass by the Condomerie and explore Chinatown’s tiny stores as well as some of the city’s smallest streets.
- Learn more about Amsterdam’s liberal attitudes to sex, drugs, and prostitution.
- Explore the Red Light District through the eyes of a local.
- See some of the narrowest streets in Amsterdam.
- See the famous red-tinted windows.
- Find the first coffeeshop of Amsterdam.
Explore the heart of the Red Light District. Here you will learn about the history and present status of the Red Light District as you walk through the renowned prostitute streets with the red lights. Discover why prostitution has been permitted and how the term “coffeeshop” came to be. In this interesting neighborhood you will find Amsterdam’s smallest street, numerous smartshops, an indoor prostitute street, and the first coffeeshop.
Meet the guide in front of the entrance of the ‘Barbizon Palace Hotel NH collection’, located at the Prins Hendrikkade 59, 1012 AD Amsterdam.
- Learn about the history and culture of the Amsterdam Red Light District.
- Explore the Red Light District with the help of a local guide.
- Discover historic monuments and locations.